Saturday, January 12, 2013

Neat tricks for Windows Excel users [keyboard shortcut keys]

Here I will show you some shortcut keys for Microsoft Excel users. Trust me, it might look like nothing but surely very useful. This trick seems not beneficial for those who deal with 3x3 table, but the people who mess around with 100, 1000 or ten of thousand rows and columns will find these keys a little handy.


I use Excel  for more than 15 years, but I never know this shortcut and I think it is good to share. One day I saw my supervisor in a matter of second build the graph from the same data that we are working on. I can remember that for me, a lot of effort has been put onto scrolling and scrolling the mouse to the very  last row.


All you need is to open your .xls, .xlsx or .csv file (any file that can be executed by Excel) and your keyboard. We are not going to use our mouse in this tutorial. The mouse I can say useful when we deal with small number of rows and columns. But just imagine if you have hundreds of rows and columns, the mouse usage will be cumbersome and in fact will take so much of your time scrolling down to the last point of your data.

Let say we have a table like this, (4x101)


I have counted, if you want to select from the top to the bottom of the first column (Legend) with your normal mouse it will take three times of scrolling stroke. That will be 3 secs at minimum.


With this trick, you will take less than 1 sec to select your data from the same box on the top (Legend) to the last row (row 101)


With the Legend box selected, now press [Shift + Ctrl + Down arrow].
Amazing huh! Now, some extra tips of these keys. If you want to select the entire column, just hit [Shift + Ctrl] and your [right arrow key].


You should also remember that, with SHIFT + CTRL + ARROW KEYS will select all your data of columns and row, but  with only SHIFT + ARROW KEYS will select a box to another box.


That's all for now, don't forget to share it with others.



No comments: